If interested in trying contact lenses, your optometrist at Illinois Valley Eye Care will determine which type would be ideal for you based on the results of your comprehensive eye examination. You will then be trained on insertion and removal, care and cleaning of the lenses, and given a trial pair to test out in your daily life. Once happy with your lenses, we can finalize your prescription and order you a supply.
Types of Contacts
- Soft disposables – This is the most commonly fit type of contact lens and comes in various wearing modalities including daily disposables, biweekly, and monthly replacement options. These are generally the most comfortable type of lenses while also providing good vision.
- Rigid Gas Permeables – Smaller, “hard” lenses that provide the best possible optics but may take some time to get used to the feel
Specialty Contact We Fit:
- Multifocal lenses – these lenses can be a great option for those in their 40’s and above that require clear vision at various working distances. These can work well for everyday wear or for those just looking to wear them on a part-time basis for social events or physical activities.
- Hybrid Lenses – a rigid center with a soft skirt. This type of lens provides the optics of a hard lens with improved comfort like that of a soft lens. These can be a good option for those with a high amount of astigmatism where soft lenses haven’t provided adequate vision.
- Ortho-keratology – special RGPs that you sleep in which correct your vision so that you don’t have to wear glasses or contact lenses during the day .
- Scleral lenses – these are large, customized lenses that are made to vault over the surface of the eye to provide clear vision for those with an irregular cornea such as with keratoconus.
Your doctor will evaluate your eye health and check your prescription to see if contact lenses may be a good option for you and go over which option may be best to suit your visual demands.